Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Spirit Doll







My little nephew is nearly 2 and this Xmas I decided to make him his first CQ item from his Aunty Larna. His bedroom is themed in Ships and Pirates so the doll is themed on the sea.
I used sea themed charms like shells, star fish, fish etc and found a fabric I had for the head (I think it looks like Neptune) and a great print of a ship at sea. As this was for a little boy I kept the flowery embroidery out of it. This was a challenge as most of my work contains flowers of some sort.
I do hope his mother likes it as it is meant to hang somewhere in his room.
The aim of the spirit doll is to represent love and affection to the owner offering the owner good things from the maker.
The doll also has enclosed in the middle (stuffing) some of departed Grandmothers' hair and the first hair of the baby boy who is the recipient. Our Grandmother Mary was a very special lady and was a huge influence on my creative self. She single handedly enticed me into being creative.
It has been raining today and roads very slipery.

Our son is housesitting for a friend and informs my husband and I this morning that He has had an accident in his car. Luckily he is unhurt but took out a front fence of a house and the car had the hole right side smashed in. I thank my lucky stars he is OK but I hope he learns from this experience he is not infalable. If only we could bestow wisdon on the youth.
Better day tomorrow.

2 comments:

Wildflowerhouse said...

Larna What a wonderful gift for this young man. I am sure the mother will love it. I love the colors. I am so glad your son was not hurt. And yes they must all learn. I have gray hairs to prove it. Gleefully Sharon

Larna Ezzy said...

I have already started dying my grey hair. Sharon Have a great Xmas if I don't get to speak to you before then.
Cheers Larna